By Michelle Edelman, CEO Nielsen estimates that of the thousands of products launched each year, 10% or less will succeed. Sobering odds for marketers planning to spend significant corporate capital on their initiatives! Search “product launch success” online, and you’ll see lots of consultant-cooked opinions on how to avoid falling into that 90%. Most of their missives start with product conception: build a product people can’t live without. If you’re a marketer, you realize how idealistic this statement is. In the real world, we have to move product. Sometimes we... Read The Rest →
Gone are the days when consumers would just dispose of your product if they didn’t like it. Or return the unused portion for a full refund, and let sleeping dogs lie. Armed with a Go Pro, a YouTube account, and some moxy – this consumer is the most successful and entertaining anti-pitch man I’ve ever seen. Enjoy. And learn.
by Michelle Edelman, CEO I’m Jewish with mostly Russian roots. So why am I wearing green on St. Patty’s Day? Truth is, I’ll adopt any legit holiday that’s on the calendar. For me, they’re a great excuse to cook something weird and use my outside voice. There’s no shortage of reasons why we celebrate. St. Patrick’s Day commemorates religious Irish Catholic roots – but we all jump at the chance to be Irish for a day. President’s Day is an efficiency measure. We must think Lincoln and Washington wouldn’t mind... Read The Rest →
By: Michelle Edelman, CEO Some people say that advertising and morality aren’t the greatest roommates. Advertising and marketing are supposed to push the limits of thinking and visceral sense, that’s how it gets noticed. Exaggeration, anomaly, conflict – these are all great stuff in making sure brands don’t get caught in the mediocre noise of most of the stuff that passes by our faces every day. There’s nothing like timeliness and relevance to get our attention. Sometimes what’s timely isn’t that savory. I’m a fan of all sorts of work – given... Read The Rest →
BY: Michelle Edelman, CEO Before there was Facebook, twitter, and Google+, there was Myspace. Once the unrivaled social network, I suppose most of us haven’t given Myspace a second thought since 2009. Maybe it was the sexual predators, or the spam, or the viruses. Or perhaps social media just was not ready for mass adoption. It fizzled while Facebook took off. But then Justin Timberlake and a group of investors bought it in a fire sale from News Corp. and last year, released this: With Facebook’s mediocre IPO and Google+... Read The Rest →